Politics & Elections
Up Close: Anthony Weiner
Sunday, April 28, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Former Congressman Anthony Weiner is hoping to wipe the slate clean and restore his political future.
It's not easy to do, to come back after a major scandal. Bill Clinton has done it. Eliot Spitzer has yet to get back into politics, but has moved on. And now there's Weiner, who won't say for sure if he's running for mayor of New York City. But he seems to be laying the groundwork for a run, including a series of media interviews. The Democrat from Queens resigned from office two years ago after revealing he sent inappropriate texts and lewd pictures to several women he met on Twitter and other social media sites. The revelation came days after he lied about it. Weiner sat down one on one with Eyewitness News poltiical reporter Dave Evans, and we want to share the full interview with you, starting with the question many are still asking: "What was he thinking?". Also this week, as Congress takes up immigration reform, a look at a special program Channel 7 helped to sponsor for immigrants right here in New York City. It's called "Citizenship Now", done in conjunction with the Daily News and City University of New York. It was an opportunity for immigrants, or anyone to call in with questions about everything from becoming a citizen to where to take English classes. Joining is the man who organized the event, the director of CUNY's Citizenship Now and immigration attorney Allan Wernick.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, anthony weiner, politics & elections, diana williams
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash