Politics & Elections
Up Close: Corruption Scandal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's happened again: elected officials in New York accused of selling out their offices.
State Senator Malcolm Smith is charged with trying to bribe his way into the mayoral race, with the help of City Councilman Dan Halloran.
And they are not the only ones tangled up in a web of corruption.
Nearly a dozen politicians and power brokers were arrested last week and charged with taking bribes.
Joining us is U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara to discuss his mission of going after crooked politicians.
Also with us, two state lawmakers to talk about how the scandal affects them and the public perception of what they do: Republican State Senator from Suffolk County Lee Zeldin and Democratic State Senator from Queens Tony Avella.
And, to put it all in perspective, Morgan Pehme, Editor in Chief of "City & State".
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 28 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
28 min ago