Politics & Elections
Up Close: Corruption Scandal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's happened again: elected officials in New York accused of selling out their offices.
State Senator Malcolm Smith is charged with trying to bribe his way into the mayoral race, with the help of City Councilman Dan Halloran.
And they are not the only ones tangled up in a web of corruption.
Nearly a dozen politicians and power brokers were arrested last week and charged with taking bribes.
Joining us is U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara to discuss his mission of going after crooked politicians.
Also with us, two state lawmakers to talk about how the scandal affects them and the public perception of what they do: Republican State Senator from Suffolk County Lee Zeldin and Democratic State Senator from Queens Tony Avella.
And, to put it all in perspective, Morgan Pehme, Editor in Chief of "City & State".
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 58 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 54 min ago
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees