Politics & Elections
Up Close: Corruption Scandal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's happened again: elected officials in New York accused of selling out their offices.
State Senator Malcolm Smith is charged with trying to bribe his way into the mayoral race, with the help of City Councilman Dan Halloran.
And they are not the only ones tangled up in a web of corruption.
Nearly a dozen politicians and power brokers were arrested last week and charged with taking bribes.
Joining us is U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara to discuss his mission of going after crooked politicians.
Also with us, two state lawmakers to talk about how the scandal affects them and the public perception of what they do: Republican State Senator from Suffolk County Lee Zeldin and Democratic State Senator from Queens Tony Avella.
And, to put it all in perspective, Morgan Pehme, Editor in Chief of "City & State".
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green