Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sick Days
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A bill requiring businesses to provide paid sick days for employees has been languishing in the City Council for almost 3 years, mainly because Council Speaker Christine Quinn has blocked the bill from going forward.
Now the speaker, who is running for mayor, appears to be changing her mind. Quinn and union leaders have reached a compromise on a plan calling for companies with 20 or more employees to provide five paid sick days starting next April. Joining us to discuss it is Dan Cantor, executive director with the Working Families Party. The group has led the charge pressuring Quinn to support the bill. Also, we continue our ongoing conversation with the mayoral candidates, as we talk to supermarket magnate and Republican candidate John Castimatidis. Could this political novice become the city's next billionaire mayor? Plus, Mayor Bloomberg continues his mission to stop New Yorkers from smoking with a proposal to raise the minimum price of cigarettes to $10.50 a pack. With us to discuss it is Dr. Susan Kansagra, assistant comissioner with the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control at the New York City Department of Health.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 18 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in South Africa 1 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos