Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sick Days
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A bill requiring businesses to provide paid sick days for employees has been languishing in the City Council for almost 3 years, mainly because Council Speaker Christine Quinn has blocked the bill from going forward.
Now the speaker, who is running for mayor, appears to be changing her mind. Quinn and union leaders have reached a compromise on a plan calling for companies with 20 or more employees to provide five paid sick days starting next April. Joining us to discuss it is Dan Cantor, executive director with the Working Families Party. The group has led the charge pressuring Quinn to support the bill. Also, we continue our ongoing conversation with the mayoral candidates, as we talk to supermarket magnate and Republican candidate John Castimatidis. Could this political novice become the city's next billionaire mayor? Plus, Mayor Bloomberg continues his mission to stop New Yorkers from smoking with a proposal to raise the minimum price of cigarettes to $10.50 a pack. With us to discuss it is Dr. Susan Kansagra, assistant comissioner with the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control at the New York City Department of Health.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 54 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 49 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
45 min ago