Politics & Elections
Up Close: Christine Quinn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- City Council President Christine Quinn has made official what has been talked about for years: she is running for Mayor of New York City.
The Democrat is the front-runner in all the polls, and as City Council Speaker, she is perhaps the best-known of all the candidates.
But she faces a very crowded pack of candidates all vying for City Hall.
Can she hold onto the top spot all the way to November?
Quinn joins us this week to discuss her mayoral bid.
Plus, Superstorm Sandy devastated Brooklyn's Coney Island Hospital, leaving it only about 50 percent optional, which means the closest hospital, Maimonides Medical Center, is filling the gap.
While Sandy may be to blame for the overflow at Maimonides, many Brooklyn hospitals are in critical condition.
Five of Brooklyn's 10 private hospitals face financial problems.
With us to discuss the issue are John Marshall, Chairman of Emergency Medicine at Maimonides, and Elisabeth Wynn, Senior Vice President of Health, Economics and Finance with the Greater New York Hospital Association.
And as Pope Francis begins his papacy, we'll talk about the new pontiff with Father James Martin.
He's an editor at large and writer for "America", a national Catholic weekly magazine.
He's also the author of "The Jesuit Guide To Almost Everything", which takes on added meaning now with a Jesuit as the pope.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 34 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
57 min ago