Politics & Elections
Up Close: Budget Cuts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Massive federal budget cuts have taken effect after President Obama and congressional Republicans failed to reach an agreement.
19 months ago, Congress approved the sequester, and the $85 billion in cuts have become a reality.
We'll take a closer look at the impact of the reductions with Republican congressman from New York Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and Brooklyn.
Plus, he was once a rising Democratic star. Now former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion is launching a third party run for New York City Mayor.
We'll talk with the man hoping to become the city's first Latino mayor.
Also, Mayor Bloomberg called it a game changer when back in November he announced a first of its kind, one stop rebuilding program called 'NYC Rapid Repairs."
It would send teams of approved licensed contractors into Sandy-damaged neighborhoods and save homeowners the headache of hiring various contractors themselves.
Now Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer has found some of those 'Rapid Repair' homes barely finished, and some downright dangerous.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Boy injured in Mount Olive sledding accident 10 min ago
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey gets hit with another dose of snow
- Long Island gets through snow blast
- Snow leaves little accumulation throughout NYC
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos