Politics & Elections
Up Close: Budget Cuts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Massive federal budget cuts have taken effect after President Obama and congressional Republicans failed to reach an agreement.
19 months ago, Congress approved the sequester, and the $85 billion in cuts have become a reality.
We'll take a closer look at the impact of the reductions with Republican congressman from New York Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and Brooklyn.
Plus, he was once a rising Democratic star. Now former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion is launching a third party run for New York City Mayor.
We'll talk with the man hoping to become the city's first Latino mayor.
Also, Mayor Bloomberg called it a game changer when back in November he announced a first of its kind, one stop rebuilding program called 'NYC Rapid Repairs."
It would send teams of approved licensed contractors into Sandy-damaged neighborhoods and save homeowners the headache of hiring various contractors themselves.
Now Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer has found some of those 'Rapid Repair' homes barely finished, and some downright dangerous.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos