Politics & Elections
Up Close: Budget Cuts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Massive federal budget cuts have taken effect after President Obama and congressional Republicans failed to reach an agreement.
19 months ago, Congress approved the sequester, and the $85 billion in cuts have become a reality.
We'll take a closer look at the impact of the reductions with Republican congressman from New York Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and Brooklyn.
Plus, he was once a rising Democratic star. Now former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion is launching a third party run for New York City Mayor.
We'll talk with the man hoping to become the city's first Latino mayor.
Also, Mayor Bloomberg called it a game changer when back in November he announced a first of its kind, one stop rebuilding program called 'NYC Rapid Repairs."
It would send teams of approved licensed contractors into Sandy-damaged neighborhoods and save homeowners the headache of hiring various contractors themselves.
Now Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer has found some of those 'Rapid Repair' homes barely finished, and some downright dangerous.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 58 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos