Politics & Elections
Up Close: Budget Cuts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Massive federal budget cuts have taken effect after President Obama and congressional Republicans failed to reach an agreement.
19 months ago, Congress approved the sequester, and the $85 billion in cuts have become a reality.
We'll take a closer look at the impact of the reductions with Republican congressman from New York Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and Brooklyn.
Plus, he was once a rising Democratic star. Now former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion is launching a third party run for New York City Mayor.
We'll talk with the man hoping to become the city's first Latino mayor.
Also, Mayor Bloomberg called it a game changer when back in November he announced a first of its kind, one stop rebuilding program called 'NYC Rapid Repairs."
It would send teams of approved licensed contractors into Sandy-damaged neighborhoods and save homeowners the headache of hiring various contractors themselves.
Now Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer has found some of those 'Rapid Repair' homes barely finished, and some downright dangerous.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 39 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos