Politics & Elections
7 Things to know: Reaction to Obama's gun control plan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- President Barack Obama unveiled sweeping proposals to curb gun violence, including calls for Congress to pass universal background checks and an assault-weapons ban, plus 23 executive actions that don't require congressional approval.
Here are 7 notable quotes about the proposals:
1. Vice President Joe Biden
"I have no illusions about what we're up against or how hard the task is in front of us. ... We should do as much as we can, as quickly as we can. And we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
2. National Rifle Association
"Attacking firearms and ignoring children is not a solution to the crisis we face as a nation. Only honest, law-abiding gun owners will be affected and our children will remain vulnerable to the inevitability of more tragedy."
3. Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
"There's an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants - including gun owners and NRA members - and what our elected officials are doing about it."
4. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.
"Nothing the president is proposing would have stopped the massacre at Sandy Hook. ... Rather than sweeping measures that make it harder for responsible, law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms, we should focus on the root causes of gun violence and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill."
5. New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly
"We know we're not going to eliminate all gun violence, but certainly diminish the possibility of having another Newtown. ... I believe all the major law enforcement organizations will support the administration. So this is a good day."
6. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.
"The recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is heartbreaking and beyond words. However, the gun control plans brought forward by President Obama fail to address the real issues and I'm confident there will be bipartisan opposition to his proposal."
7. E. Patricia Llodra, first selectwoman of Newtown, Conn.
"I truly believe that the will of the people makes a difference, and I'm calling on everyone to have the courage to stand up and help us make that difference. We should never again visit a tragedy such as we had in Newtown, Conn. It's time for us to make a change."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gun control, politics & elections
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor 49 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers