Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sandy Recovery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On Tuesday, the House is expected to take up the second half of a recovery bill for victims of superstorm Sandy.
President Obama has signed off on a bill providing $9.7 billion to cover flood insurance claims, but it was only a small fraction of what is still needed to rebuild.
House Speaker John Boehner has promised that the new Congress will consider more money. But how much? And will Speaker Boehner keep his word?
Democrats are already on board with additional funds, but some fear Republicans in the House could hold out on the tri-state area.
Joining us this week is Staten Island Republican Michael Grimm, who is fighting for more federal funds.
Also, in the wake of the Newtown shootings, Governor Cuomo is pushing for what could be the toughest gun laws in the country.
Legislators in Albany say a deal may be near.
We'll sit down with two of them: Democratic State Senator Jeff Klein and Republican Marty Golden.
And with the flu epidemic sweeping across the country, we'll tell you what you need to know to stay healthy.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages
- Bill de Blasio to make big announcement Thursday morning 12 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013