Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sandy Recovery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hurricane Sandy was a devastating October surprise for the tri-state area, with damage beyond anything we've ever seen. And putting New York, New Jersey and Connecticut back together will be a monumental task.
The federal and local governments are vowing to help people recover.
But what will it take to get those who lost so much back on their feet and into their homes?
And how do we protect the city from another massive storm?
This week, we'll take a look at the recovery efforts in the wake of Sandy, as we talk with Mark Merritt, president of Witt Associates, a public safety and crisis management consulting firm founded by the former director of FEMA, James Lee Witt.
We'll also talk about what changes need to be made to protect those who live along the coast, with Dr. William Fritz, interim president and professor of geology at the City University of New York's College of Staten Island.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, hurricane sandy, politics & elections, diana williams
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 57 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos