Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sandy Recovery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hurricane Sandy was a devastating October surprise for the tri-state area, with damage beyond anything we've ever seen. And putting New York, New Jersey and Connecticut back together will be a monumental task.
The federal and local governments are vowing to help people recover.
But what will it take to get those who lost so much back on their feet and into their homes?
And how do we protect the city from another massive storm?
This week, we'll take a look at the recovery efforts in the wake of Sandy, as we talk with Mark Merritt, president of Witt Associates, a public safety and crisis management consulting firm founded by the former director of FEMA, James Lee Witt.
We'll also talk about what changes need to be made to protect those who live along the coast, with Dr. William Fritz, interim president and professor of geology at the City University of New York's College of Staten Island.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, hurricane sandy, politics & elections, diana williams
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide