Politics & Elections
Up Close: Teachers Strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As negotiations continue to try and end the Chicago teacher's strike, the question is: could it happen here?
What happened in Chicago is important for a number of reasons.
The strike made clear that a lot of teachers are frustrated with the pace of education reforms.
The strike also highlighted the contentious relationship between teachers unions and the political establishment that is pushing for change.
Joining us to discuss these issues is Randi Weingarten, the president of the one and a half million member American Federation of Teachers, and former head of New York City's teachers union.
Also this week: New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is facing perhaps his toughest political battle yet.
Could Assemblyman Vito Lopez's sexual harassment scandal bring down one of the state's most powerful politicians?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash