Politics & Elections
Up Close: Teachers Strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As negotiations continue to try and end the Chicago teacher's strike, the question is: could it happen here?
What happened in Chicago is important for a number of reasons.
The strike made clear that a lot of teachers are frustrated with the pace of education reforms.
The strike also highlighted the contentious relationship between teachers unions and the political establishment that is pushing for change.
Joining us to discuss these issues is Randi Weingarten, the president of the one and a half million member American Federation of Teachers, and former head of New York City's teachers union.
Also this week: New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is facing perhaps his toughest political battle yet.
Could Assemblyman Vito Lopez's sexual harassment scandal bring down one of the state's most powerful politicians?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault 14 min ago
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 59 min ago
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos