Politics & Elections
Up Close: Teachers Strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As negotiations continue to try and end the Chicago teacher's strike, the question is: could it happen here?
What happened in Chicago is important for a number of reasons.
The strike made clear that a lot of teachers are frustrated with the pace of education reforms.
The strike also highlighted the contentious relationship between teachers unions and the political establishment that is pushing for change.
Joining us to discuss these issues is Randi Weingarten, the president of the one and a half million member American Federation of Teachers, and former head of New York City's teachers union.
Also this week: New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is facing perhaps his toughest political battle yet.
Could Assemblyman Vito Lopez's sexual harassment scandal bring down one of the state's most powerful politicians?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train 22 min ago
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents 42 min ago
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines