Politics & Elections
Up Close: Teachers Strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As negotiations continue to try and end the Chicago teacher's strike, the question is: could it happen here?
What happened in Chicago is important for a number of reasons.
The strike made clear that a lot of teachers are frustrated with the pace of education reforms.
The strike also highlighted the contentious relationship between teachers unions and the political establishment that is pushing for change.
Joining us to discuss these issues is Randi Weingarten, the president of the one and a half million member American Federation of Teachers, and former head of New York City's teachers union.
Also this week: New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is facing perhaps his toughest political battle yet.
Could Assemblyman Vito Lopez's sexual harassment scandal bring down one of the state's most powerful politicians?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 1 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 23 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos