Politics & Elections
Up Close: Teachers Strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As negotiations continue to try and end the Chicago teacher's strike, the question is: could it happen here?
What happened in Chicago is important for a number of reasons.
The strike made clear that a lot of teachers are frustrated with the pace of education reforms.
The strike also highlighted the contentious relationship between teachers unions and the political establishment that is pushing for change.
Joining us to discuss these issues is Randi Weingarten, the president of the one and a half million member American Federation of Teachers, and former head of New York City's teachers union.
Also this week: New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is facing perhaps his toughest political battle yet.
Could Assemblyman Vito Lopez's sexual harassment scandal bring down one of the state's most powerful politicians?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 36 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released 36 min ago
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized 29 min ago
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
36 min ago
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
29 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
21 min ago