Politics & Elections
Up Close: Stop and Frisk Policy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We begin with the NYPD's controversial stop and frisk program.
This past week, a federal judge cleared the way for a class action lawsuit to be filed against the city.
It's a victory for critics who say the stop and frisk policy is racially biased.
This year, police are on track to stop more than 700,000 people, and the majority of them are black or Hispanic.
The mayor and police commissioner defend the program, saying it gets guns off the streets.
Eyewitness News investigative reporter Jim Hoffer has been reporting on the NYPD's stop and frisk for nearly two years.
Jim has more on the judge's ruling.
Also this week, 18-year-old Josh Lafazan was elected to the Syosset school board, making him the first student ever to get a seat on the board.
He's now the youngest elected official in the state.
But Josh's victory didn't come easy.
Just days before the election, the school district administrators accused Josh's father of stealing sensitive records.
The controversy actually ended up mobilizing young voters, who helped Josh win.
Josh Lafazan joined us.
In our final segment -- an exclusive Eyewitness News investigation.
For years, a man on Long Island with no medical license posed as a doctor treating patients.
One of those patients says he was misdiagnosed and may be dying.
And there's a twist.
After the story first aired more patients came forward, saying the alleged phony doctor may also have been using a different name.
Sarah Wallace has an investigation.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
9 min ago