Politics & Elections
Up Close: Taking on Charlie Rangel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The presidential election may be getting all the attention, but there are some heated Congressional races underway in our area. All this month, we plan highlight some of those races and introduce you to the candidates.
Candidates are lining up to take over Rep. Charlie Rangel's 13th District seat in Congress.
After more than 4 decades in office, they say it's time for Rangel to go, but can they beat a veteran incumbent with a name, money and political network behind him.
The Harlem democrat has held the seat for more than 4 decades and he is running for his 22nd term.
The district, like all congressional districts in the state, was redrawn this year. It now includes most of Harlem, Upper Manhattan and parts of the Bronx.
We asked all the candidates running in the 13th district democratic primary to join us on this program to discuss the issues.
Rangel and Adriano Espillat declined our invitation, but three other democrats vying for the seat agreed to join us. They are Clyde Williams, former adviser to President Bill Clinton; Joyce Johnson, a Harlem community activist; and Craig Schley, also a community activist and former intern to Charles Rangel.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Tornado touched down near Copake
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 54 min ago
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos