El Classico Pernil from Martino's Cuban Restaurant
SOMERVILLE (WABC) -- We're warming things up in Neighborhood Eats with a taste of Cuba in New Jersey.
We're showing you a classic Cuban dish. Some call it Pernil. Others call it Lechon. It all translates to roast pig.
It's always on the menu at Martino's Cuban Restaurant at 212 West Main Street in Somerville, New Jersey.
Learn more about the restaurant at martinoscuba.com
El Classico Pernil "Pork Shoulder"
Serves: 8-12 people
Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
1 Fresh Pork Shoulder Bone In
Kosher Salt (To Taste)
Cracked Black Pepper (To Taste)
5 Garlic Cloves peeled
4 Thyme Sprigs
4 Cups Of Water
1. Pre-Heat oven to 400 °F.
2. Rinse pork shoulder and dry pork well, I mean do not leave any kind of moisture on the pork.
3. With the tip of the paring knife make 5 incisions under the skin, deep enough to snuggle in the garlic cloves.
4. Season generously with salt and pepper. Massage pork with seasoning, make sure to get it everywhere there is meat.
5. Add the thyme to the roasting pan, rack, and than the pork. Place in the oven and set timer for 3.5 hours.
6. 1 hour into cooking add 4 cups of water to the pork and cover tightly with foil.
7. The pork will be done when it hits the recommended temperature of 145°F. Once we reached the ideal temperature remove from oven and let the "Pernil" rest for 20 minutes before cutting.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 4 min ago
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor 12 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 57 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos