El Classico Pernil from Martino's Cuban Restaurant
SOMERVILLE (WABC) -- We're warming things up in Neighborhood Eats with a taste of Cuba in New Jersey.
We're showing you a classic Cuban dish. Some call it Pernil. Others call it Lechon. It all translates to roast pig.
It's always on the menu at Martino's Cuban Restaurant at 212 West Main Street in Somerville, New Jersey.
Learn more about the restaurant at martinoscuba.com
El Classico Pernil "Pork Shoulder"
Serves: 8-12 people
Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
1 Fresh Pork Shoulder Bone In
Kosher Salt (To Taste)
Cracked Black Pepper (To Taste)
5 Garlic Cloves peeled
4 Thyme Sprigs
4 Cups Of Water
1. Pre-Heat oven to 400 °F.
2. Rinse pork shoulder and dry pork well, I mean do not leave any kind of moisture on the pork.
3. With the tip of the paring knife make 5 incisions under the skin, deep enough to snuggle in the garlic cloves.
4. Season generously with salt and pepper. Massage pork with seasoning, make sure to get it everywhere there is meat.
5. Add the thyme to the roasting pan, rack, and than the pork. Place in the oven and set timer for 3.5 hours.
6. 1 hour into cooking add 4 cups of water to the pork and cover tightly with foil.
7. The pork will be done when it hits the recommended temperature of 145°F. Once we reached the ideal temperature remove from oven and let the "Pernil" rest for 20 minutes before cutting.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center 4 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Metro-North to require sleep apnea evaluation
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos