El Classico Pernil from Martino's Cuban Restaurant
SOMERVILLE (WABC) -- We're warming things up in Neighborhood Eats with a taste of Cuba in New Jersey.
We're showing you a classic Cuban dish. Some call it Pernil. Others call it Lechon. It all translates to roast pig.
It's always on the menu at Martino's Cuban Restaurant at 212 West Main Street in Somerville, New Jersey.
Learn more about the restaurant at martinoscuba.com
El Classico Pernil "Pork Shoulder"
Serves: 8-12 people
Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
1 Fresh Pork Shoulder Bone In
Kosher Salt (To Taste)
Cracked Black Pepper (To Taste)
5 Garlic Cloves peeled
4 Thyme Sprigs
4 Cups Of Water
1. Pre-Heat oven to 400 °F.
2. Rinse pork shoulder and dry pork well, I mean do not leave any kind of moisture on the pork.
3. With the tip of the paring knife make 5 incisions under the skin, deep enough to snuggle in the garlic cloves.
4. Season generously with salt and pepper. Massage pork with seasoning, make sure to get it everywhere there is meat.
5. Add the thyme to the roasting pan, rack, and than the pork. Place in the oven and set timer for 3.5 hours.
6. 1 hour into cooking add 4 cups of water to the pork and cover tightly with foil.
7. The pork will be done when it hits the recommended temperature of 145°F. Once we reached the ideal temperature remove from oven and let the "Pernil" rest for 20 minutes before cutting.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos