U.S. & World News
Neil Diamond donating 'Sweet Caroline' sales after Boston blasts
BOSTON -- Neil Diamond is donating this week's sales from "Sweet Caroline" after the tune became a source of comfort following the explosions at the Boston Marathon.
Sales from Diamond's song are up by 597 percent, Nielsen SoundScan said Wednesday. Diamond's representative said the singer will donate the recent sales to marathon bombing victims.
"Sweet Caroline" sold 19,000 tracks this week. It sold 2,800 tracks the previous week and 1.75 million tracks to date.
The crowd-pleasing song is a staple of Boston Red Sox games. It makes no specific mention of Boston or the Red Sox, but the team started playing it regularly at Fenway Park more than a decade ago and fans took to it.
The New York Yankees, Toronto Raptors and other professional sports teams also have played the song at games in the days after the deadly blasts April 15.
Diamond released "Sweet Caroline" in 1969. The song was inspired by Caroline Kennedy's name.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSIONS
boston marathon bombings, boston marathon explosions, dzhokhar a. tsarnaev, tamerlan tsarnaev, boston, boston marathon, explosion, u.s. & world news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 56 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 53 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 25 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 17 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 12 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
51 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos