Northern Suburbs News
Calls for Monticello mayor's resignation after DWI arrest
MONTICELLO, N.Y. (WABC) -- A local mayor is under arrest, and this isn't the first time he's been in trouble.
There are growing calls for him to resign.
Gordon Jenkins is out on bail after his arrest for drunk driving, among other things.
He's the mayor of Monticello in Sullivan County.
"He is not a bad person, but his behavior doesn't help the village. (Should he step down?) I believe the Mayor should step down," said Carmen Rue, a Monticello Village Trustee.
Monticello Village Trustee Carmen Rue has seen enough.
She wants the Mayor and Village Manager Gordon Jenkins to step down. The 53-year-old was arrested Friday night by village police officers on charges of driving drunk, speeding, and obstruction.
"You should know that you're life is not private, that your life is going to be public. So you have to give a good example to your community," Rue said.
Police say the mayor was seen acting strangely at an accident scene on Broadway right outside a Chinese restaurant and directly across the street from the mayor's beauty supply store.
Police later caught up with the mayor behind the wheel of his car and arrested him. Investigators say while in custody, the mayor damaged a wall clock at police headquarters.
Those who know Jenkins say the behavior is not part of the mayor's character.
"I'm saying 'no', because Gordon is not that stupid. I don't believe it, no, because Gordon is not that type of person. I've never known him to drive drunk, you know," said Betty O'Bannon, a Monticello resident.
In a phone call, the mayor told Eyewitness News he wanted to tell his side of the story but on the advice of counsel, he would say nothing further.
Late Monday afternoon, his attorney released a statement saying in part, "Mayor Jenkins rejects calls for his resignation. He believes he is fully capable of fulfilling the duties of mayor and village manager, as he has been doing. He will answer the charges against him in a respectful and professional manner."
sullivan county, dwi, drunk driving, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park