Northern Suburbs News
Lockdowns lifted at 3 Yonkers schools after man barricaded, leak
YONKERS (WABC) -- Lockdowns have been lifted at three different schools in Yonkers after a man barricaded himself inside a home and a chlorine tank broke at a water treatment facility.
Police responded to the barricade scene on Rugby Road after receiving a call of a distraught male just after 8 a.m. They were involved in a brief standoff with the man, who they believed had a weapon.
As a result, Westchester Hills School 29 on Croydon Road and Family School 32 on Montclair Place were placed on lockdown as a precaution.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that 51-year-old man shot himself in the face, but is still alive and presently at the hospital.
The all-clear was given at the schools around 11 a.m.
In a separate incident, School 31 was locked down after the Yonkers Department of Public Works reported and responded to a break in an empty chlorine tank at the Water Treatment Plant on Tuckahoe Road.
Yonkers Fire Department sealed the tank, and subsequent air quality readings showed levels of chlorine in the air at zero.
Tuckahoe Road was closed between the Sprain Parkway and Central Park Avenue.
The road reopened and the lockdown was lifted around 11 a.m., as well.
northern suburbs news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 53 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 50 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 22 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 14 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 9 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos