Northern Suburbs News
Lockdowns lifted at 3 Yonkers schools after man barricaded, leak
YONKERS (WABC) -- Lockdowns have been lifted at three different schools in Yonkers after a man barricaded himself inside a home and a chlorine tank broke at a water treatment facility.
Police responded to the barricade scene on Rugby Road after receiving a call of a distraught male just after 8 a.m. They were involved in a brief standoff with the man, who they believed had a weapon.
As a result, Westchester Hills School 29 on Croydon Road and Family School 32 on Montclair Place were placed on lockdown as a precaution.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that 51-year-old man shot himself in the face, but is still alive and presently at the hospital.
The all-clear was given at the schools around 11 a.m.
In a separate incident, School 31 was locked down after the Yonkers Department of Public Works reported and responded to a break in an empty chlorine tank at the Water Treatment Plant on Tuckahoe Road.
Yonkers Fire Department sealed the tank, and subsequent air quality readings showed levels of chlorine in the air at zero.
Tuckahoe Road was closed between the Sprain Parkway and Central Park Avenue.
The road reopened and the lockdown was lifted around 11 a.m., as well.
northern suburbs news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 56 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 18 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 7 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
47 min ago