Northern Suburbs News
Ossining teacher admits having sex with student, 16
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A high school teacher in New York has pleaded guilty to a rape charge after being arraigned on what was supposed to be his wedding day.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says John Azabache pleaded guilty Tuesday to third-degree rape for having sex with a 16-year-old student.
His lawyer, Tony Castro, says Azabache will be sentenced in December to 10 years of probation and will have to register as a sex offender.
Azabache, of Port Chester, was a math teacher at Ossining High. He was arrested in July when police said he'd had sex twice with the girl.
His planned July 12 wedding was canceled and his ex-fiancee obtained an order of protection.
The school district says Azabache has off the payroll since last week.
westchester news, westchester county, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 10 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 26 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
26 min ago