Northern Suburbs News
Ossining teacher admits having sex with student, 16
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A high school teacher in New York has pleaded guilty to a rape charge after being arraigned on what was supposed to be his wedding day.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says John Azabache pleaded guilty Tuesday to third-degree rape for having sex with a 16-year-old student.
His lawyer, Tony Castro, says Azabache will be sentenced in December to 10 years of probation and will have to register as a sex offender.
Azabache, of Port Chester, was a math teacher at Ossining High. He was arrested in July when police said he'd had sex twice with the girl.
His planned July 12 wedding was canceled and his ex-fiancee obtained an order of protection.
The school district says Azabache has off the payroll since last week.
westchester news, westchester county, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash