Northern Suburbs News
Ossining teacher admits having sex with student, 16
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A high school teacher in New York has pleaded guilty to a rape charge after being arraigned on what was supposed to be his wedding day.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says John Azabache pleaded guilty Tuesday to third-degree rape for having sex with a 16-year-old student.
His lawyer, Tony Castro, says Azabache will be sentenced in December to 10 years of probation and will have to register as a sex offender.
Azabache, of Port Chester, was a math teacher at Ossining High. He was arrested in July when police said he'd had sex twice with the girl.
His planned July 12 wedding was canceled and his ex-fiancee obtained an order of protection.
The school district says Azabache has off the payroll since last week.
westchester news, westchester county, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen