Northern Suburbs News
Stamford, Connecticut house explosion caused by gas
STAMFORD, Connecticut (WABC) -- The Mayor of Stamford, Connecticut says a home was leveled in an apparent gas explosion on Tuesday afternoon.
The buildings department was on the scene evaluating the nearby homes that were also damaged near the explosion.
Officials say the homeowner was outside the house, in the rear of the property at the time of the explosion. He was transported to the hospital with minor injuries.
At dusk, the fire still burned in Stamford, five hours after a massive explosion that leveled a Fairfield County mansion and sent parts of the roof flying into neighboring yards.
A shattered window over here, insulation way up there in the tree, and a landscape covered with what used to be a house.
"It was like something out of hell. It really was," a resident said.
"It felt like a mini earthquake shaking beneath me," said Paul Weisel, a neighbor.
From the air, you could see the devastation, a mansion in the hills reduced to splinters when a 500 pound propane tank exploded without warning.
Firefighters couldn't believe what they were seeing.
Since Sandy left people here without power for days, it seems everyone there has installed huge propane tanks, many of them underground. One neighbor said that he planned to switch back to oil after Tuesday's explosion.
northern suburbs news, jim dolan
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 59 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 51 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 37 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 28 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos