Northern Suburbs News
Police arrest suspect in death of 99-year old Poughkeepsie woman
POUGHKEEPSIE (WABC) -- A 20-year old Poughkeepsie man is charged with murder and burglary in the death of a 99-year-old city woman.
The suspect is being held at Dutchess County Jail without bail.
Fannie Gumbinger was found dead on Wednesday in her house on Underhill Avenue in Poughkeepsie. Police will only say that she suffered multiple injuries.
Detectives have been trying to determine whether there's a link to another burglary Wednesday night just blocks away.
Jacqueline Solomon described her 99 year old aunt as someone who was still sharp as a tack. She says she was an upbeat, opinionated woman - a lady who loved to lunch with her friends.
Over the years, Gumbinger outlived her friends, husband and siblings. She suffered from a bad leg and hip, and her outings were less frequent. Home aids would visit every day to provide care and meals.
Solomon says if robbery was a motive, there wasn't much to be had.
northern suburbs news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 42 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 55 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 41 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
59 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
55 min ago