Northern Suburbs News
Police arrest suspect in death of 99-year old Poughkeepsie woman
POUGHKEEPSIE (WABC) -- A 20-year old Poughkeepsie man is charged with murder and burglary in the death of a 99-year-old city woman.
The suspect is being held at Dutchess County Jail without bail.
Fannie Gumbinger was found dead on Wednesday in her house on Underhill Avenue in Poughkeepsie. Police will only say that she suffered multiple injuries.
Detectives have been trying to determine whether there's a link to another burglary Wednesday night just blocks away.
Jacqueline Solomon described her 99 year old aunt as someone who was still sharp as a tack. She says she was an upbeat, opinionated woman - a lady who loved to lunch with her friends.
Over the years, Gumbinger outlived her friends, husband and siblings. She suffered from a bad leg and hip, and her outings were less frequent. Home aids would visit every day to provide care and meals.
Solomon says if robbery was a motive, there wasn't much to be had.
northern suburbs news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 46 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 58 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen