Northern Suburbs News
Missing special needs boy found in Orange County
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. (WABC) -- A special needs boy, who went missing Sunday in Orange County, spent the night in the woods, authorities said.
Shimon Zorger, a 10-year-old autistic boy from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, wandered away from his relatives home in Kiryas Joel about 5 o'clock Sunday night.
That resulted in a frantic, widespread search involving state troopers, firefighters, sheriff's deputies and a host of volunteers. Finally, at 9:15 on Monday morning, after more than 14 hours of searching, authorities spotted the scared little boy.
"One of the troopers pulled into a girls' school out on Mountain Road and saw the child in a grassy area," New York State Police Capt. Brendan Casey said.
But little Shimon was reluctant to get into the trooper's vehicle. That's when some volunteers provided some much-needed help by calming him down.
His family issued a statement saying, "We are grateful for the overwhelming outpouring of concern and support from our loved ones and all of our friends and neighbors as well as the rescue personnel involved in the search."
Shimon was shaken up, but not hurt. He was treated and released at Maria Fareri Children's Hospital at Westchester Medical Center.
Kiryas Joel is about 50 miles north of New York City. Incorporated in 1977 by members of the Satmar Hasidic sect from Brooklyn, it has about 23,000 residents.
missing children, missing person, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 23 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 36 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 29 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos