Northern Suburbs News
Aid offered to Connecticut farmers after 2nd tornado confirmed
WESTCHESTER -- Farmers in north-central Connecticut whose businesses were damaged by a tornado could be eligible for up to $5 million in state help.
The National Weather Service says a second tornado hit Connecticut on Monday.
Meteorologists in Upton, New York, said Tuesday that an EF0 tornado with winds up to 80 mph touched down in Greenwich and Stamford late Monday morning. The weather service says it caused extensive tree damage along a 3.7-mile path about 150 yards wide.
On Monday, the National Weather Service said an EF1 tornado struck near Windsor Locks in north-central Connecticut. That twister had estimated maximum wind of 86 mph, and traveled 2.5 miles on a 200-yard-wide path.
Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy on Tuesday signed an emergency declaration to help the state and municipalities remove debris in East Windsor, Greenwich, Stamford, Windsor and Windsor Locks.
The declaration allows the state to help remove debris and wreckage from publicly and privately owned land.
Farmers may apply for grants made public on June 23. The grants he announced then were to help Connecticut farmers for losses due to the massive snow storm in February and rain storms in the spring.
Agriculture Commissioner Steven K. Reviczky says the year so far has been especially trying for agricultural producers.
Farmers have until July 15 to apply.
westchester county, flooding, storm damage, connecticut, tornado, northern suburbs news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide