Northern Suburbs News
Valhalla man arrested with fireworks cache
MOUNT PLEASANT (WABC) -- Police in Westchester County have arrested a man they say had a large cache of commercial-grade fireworks being stored in the basement of his Mount Pleasant home.
Stephen Surace, 53, of Valhalla, was taken into custody and charged with criminal possession of a weapon, reckless endangerment and unlawfully dealing fireworks.
Police shut down surrounding streets and alerted neighbors along Saldi Lane to vacate their homes while the fireworks were being removed.
The Westchester County Police Hazardous Devices Unit and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were on the scene.
Surace was taken into custody Tuesday morning after an undercover police officer purchased $1,000 worth of fireworks and observed that the basement of the home was stacked virtually floor to ceiling with several hundred boxes of fireworks, many of them used in commercial fireworks displays.
"Based on the volume of material and the potential explosive hazard, the decision was made to move immediately to arrest Mr. Surace and secure the home," Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said.
Officials say some of the mortars were so large they would be considered explosives and not fireworks.
Authorities say they confiscated more than $200,000 worth of fireworks, so dangerous they require an explosives license to possess.
"I'm told by the experts, our bomb squad personnel, that there's a TNT equivalent in there," Longworth said. "If there was a detonation, the house would be leveled and damage to the surrounding areas as well."
Surace pleaded not guilty and was released on $10,000 bail.
westchester county, mount pleasant, northern suburbs news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 1 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 22 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 1 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 25 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
25 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos