Northern Suburbs News
Newtown school district placed on 'modified lockdown'
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- A modified lockdown was put in place Monday afternoon at schools in Newtown, Connecticut for an unknown threat.
Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was implied in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn't released details but says no one was hurt.
Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.
Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.
The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.
The following letter went out to parents:
At 2:05 PM this afternoon, a phone call was received at Hawley School containing an implied threat to the Hawley staff and students. In addition to the on-site security, other representatives of the Newtown Police Department and chief Michael Kehoe arrived at Hawley. They requested that Superintendent John Reed put the school system in modified lockdown.
Dismissal at Newtown High School and Newtown Middle School were impacted and buses did not leave on schedule so we anticipate that there may be some transportation delays for all schools. There will be a further update on transportation times. In addition to the NPD, the FBI is intimately involved in helping to investigate this call as well as others that we have received in past months. John Reed
mass shooting, newtown school shooting, northern suburbs news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 16 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos