Northern Suburbs News
Newtown school district placed on 'modified lockdown'
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- A modified lockdown was put in place Monday afternoon at schools in Newtown, Connecticut for an unknown threat.
Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was implied in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn't released details but says no one was hurt.
Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.
Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.
The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.
The following letter went out to parents:
At 2:05 PM this afternoon, a phone call was received at Hawley School containing an implied threat to the Hawley staff and students. In addition to the on-site security, other representatives of the Newtown Police Department and chief Michael Kehoe arrived at Hawley. They requested that Superintendent John Reed put the school system in modified lockdown.
Dismissal at Newtown High School and Newtown Middle School were impacted and buses did not leave on schedule so we anticipate that there may be some transportation delays for all schools. There will be a further update on transportation times. In addition to the NPD, the FBI is intimately involved in helping to investigate this call as well as others that we have received in past months. John Reed
mass shooting, newtown school shooting, northern suburbs news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 48 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
28 min ago