Northern Suburbs News
Person of interest in custody in Hillcrest party stabbing
HILLCREST (WABC) -- One of the men police believe helped turned a 6-year-old's birthday party in Rockland County into a murder scene has been taken into custody Tuesday.
Police say Otha Williams surrendered to authorities in connection to the incident, which included a deadly stabbing.
Authorities say several fights broke out at or outside the party Sunday night, on East Hickory Street in the Hillcrest section of Ramapo.
The 20-year-old Williams, who was only labeled as a person of interest, turned himself in to police in the Bronx and was charged with second-degree menacing.
Police interviewed 70 eyewitnesses, and yet the details behind the murder of 22-year-old Riccardo Barrett remain a bit of a mystery.
His girlfriend was trying to come to grips with his death.
"He was just lying on the floor calling my name, and he said, 'I'm OK, I'm OK,' and then you know," she said.
Eyewitness News is told 22-year-old Barrett was invoked in one dispute, while Williams was involved in another.
Detectives believe Williams pulled out a gun and waved it at the crowd, threatening several people. /p>
Initially, authorities thought Barrett had been shot, but late Monday afternoon the autopsy confirmed he had been stabbed in the chest.
Anyone with information should the Ramapo Police Department at (845) 357-2400.
rockland county, ramapo, spring valley, shooting, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation