Northern Suburbs News
Bill includes up to $50M for new Newtown school
HARTFORD, Conneticut -- Connecticut lawmakers are setting aside up to $50 million to help Newtown build a new school to replace the one where a shooting massacre took place last year.
The money was tucked into a bonding bill passed Wednesday, the final day of the legislative session. It's among municipal grants for infrastructure projects and programs including planning, property acquisition, site preparation and construction.
A Newtown task force last month voted to tear down Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six educators were killed. It voted to construct a new building on the site.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Thursday the state left it up to the town's residents to decide what to do with the school. He says these are the people "who have been most adversely impacted."
Efforts are being made to secure federal money.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 44 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014