Northern Suburbs News
Gas explosion damages building at Nyack College
NYACK (WABC) -- Investigators are trying to find the source of the gas that sparked an explosion that badly damaged a building and injured several people on the campus of Nyack College in Rockland County.
The explosion happened shortly before noon inside Sky Island Lodge, a building on South Highland Avenue that houses the School of Business and Leadership, on the Rockland County campus. Fire officials say a small fire broke out, but the building's sprinkler system extinguished it.
Mike Donohue of Orange & Rockland Utilities says the elevated gas levels had been detected in the manholes around the Nyack College building. Officials say they assume that's what caused the blast.
The force of the explosion blew out windows and doors. One nearby resident heard the explosion, and said it was very loud.
There is extensive structural damage inside the building, according to officials. The building's basement and first floor have been severely damaged, with blown-out windows, staircases pushed aside and columns displaced.
Six employees and a female student were in the building at the time, the college said. They were taken to Nyack Hospital for treatment. One was later transferred to Westchester Medical Center for additional treatment. The others were released. The school sent out a tweet saying that "Everyone is doing ok."
For several hours after the explosion surrounding buildings were evacuated as a safety measure. Personnel were permitted to reenter the campus facilities after 2:30 p.m.
Nyack College is a Christian college about 25 miles north of New York City.
Students from Nyack Middle School were also evacuated to Nyack High School as a precaution after the explosion.
explosion, nyack, rockland county, northern suburbs news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 9 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 16 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
16 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos