Northern Suburbs News
Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz killed in Mexico
MEXICO (WABC) -- Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, was killed in Mexico Thursday.
Shabazz was beaten to death during a robbery, according to authorities.
The 28-year-old was well known for intentionally starting a fire that killed his grandmother, Malcolm X' widow Betty Shabazz, in Yonkers in 1997.
He was 12 at the time and pleaded guilty to second-degree arson and second-degree manslaughter. He served 18 months in a juvenile facility.
In 2002, when he was 17, Malcolm Shabazz was sentenced to three years in a New York state prison after taking part in a violent street robbery in Middletown, Orange County. He also pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal mischief in 2006 for smashing the window of a Dunkin' Donuts in Yonkers in 2005.
mexico, murder, northern suburbs news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 25 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 53 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
25 min ago