Northern Suburbs News
Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz killed in Mexico
MEXICO (WABC) -- Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, was killed in Mexico Thursday.
Shabazz was beaten to death during a robbery, according to authorities.
The 28-year-old was well known for intentionally starting a fire that killed his grandmother, Malcolm X' widow Betty Shabazz, in Yonkers in 1997.
He was 12 at the time and pleaded guilty to second-degree arson and second-degree manslaughter. He served 18 months in a juvenile facility.
In 2002, when he was 17, Malcolm Shabazz was sentenced to three years in a New York state prison after taking part in a violent street robbery in Middletown, Orange County. He also pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal mischief in 2006 for smashing the window of a Dunkin' Donuts in Yonkers in 2005.
mexico, murder, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 29 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 19 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos