Northern Suburbs News
Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz killed in Mexico
MEXICO (WABC) -- Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, was killed in Mexico Thursday.
Shabazz was beaten to death during a robbery, according to authorities.
The 28-year-old was well known for intentionally starting a fire that killed his grandmother, Malcolm X' widow Betty Shabazz, in Yonkers in 1997.
He was 12 at the time and pleaded guilty to second-degree arson and second-degree manslaughter. He served 18 months in a juvenile facility.
In 2002, when he was 17, Malcolm Shabazz was sentenced to three years in a New York state prison after taking part in a violent street robbery in Middletown, Orange County. He also pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal mischief in 2006 for smashing the window of a Dunkin' Donuts in Yonkers in 2005.
mexico, murder, northern suburbs news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos