Northern Suburbs News
Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz killed in Mexico
MEXICO (WABC) -- Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, was killed in Mexico Thursday.
Shabazz was beaten to death during a robbery, according to authorities.
The 28-year-old was well known for intentionally starting a fire that killed his grandmother, Malcolm X' widow Betty Shabazz, in Yonkers in 1997.
He was 12 at the time and pleaded guilty to second-degree arson and second-degree manslaughter. He served 18 months in a juvenile facility.
In 2002, when he was 17, Malcolm Shabazz was sentenced to three years in a New York state prison after taking part in a violent street robbery in Middletown, Orange County. He also pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal mischief in 2006 for smashing the window of a Dunkin' Donuts in Yonkers in 2005.
mexico, murder, northern suburbs news
- Winter Weather Advisory 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 12 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 16 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 57 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
9 min ago