Northern Suburbs News
Some guests at Westchester Hilton got norovirus
WESTCHESTER COUNTY (WABC) -- Guests at a hotel in Westchester County have come down with what is now confirmed as the norovirus.
It definitely wasn't what John Morris had in mind when he went to a fundraising brunch at the Rye Town Hilton back on Sunday, April 21st.
"So on a scale of one to 10, 10 being the worst, how bad was it?" Eyewitness News asked.
"It was like a nine and a half. No, it was not fun," said John Morris, a stomach bug patient.
He wasn't the only one who got sick.
There were hundreds of people who attended different events at the hotel.
Now, investigators from the Health Department, are trying to figure out what caused many of them to get sick.
"Vomiting, diarrhea, and generalized weakness," Morris said.
Health officials announced Wednesday that the illness was the norovirus, which is basically a group of viruses that can cause acute illness.
The hotel is taking precautions like having their kitchen and serving staff all wearing gloves, hotel touch screens are now disabled, since the virus can live up to 12 hours on a surface, and common areas have been cleaned by an outside contractor.
They've also made hand sanitizer more accessible.
John says he's definitely not the only one who's hoping investigators find answers.
"It was 165 people that had called the organization that had given the affair," Morris said, "Obviously the source of the contamination must have been something at the hotel."
rye, westchester county, hotel, northern suburbs news, stacey sager
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos