Northern Suburbs News
Judge dubs Newburgh 'most pathetic' in New York state
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Is the picturesque waterfront of Newburgh the most pathetic place in New York?
Last week while sentencing a gang leader from Newburgh in Lower Manhattan, U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon said, "There is one industry in Newburgh, and that is selling drugs. There is one law in Newburgh, and that is the law of the streets. Newburgh is the most pathetic place in the State of New York."
60 miles away, the mayor was not amused. Judy Kennedy called the judge's comments unfair and offered to give her a personal tour of Newburgh.
There's no denying there are problems in Newburgh. Recently there have been FBI raids and unrest after police involved shootings.
The mayor has offered to give the judge a personal tour of Newburgh's landmarks and the second largest historic district in the state so far no response
So instead of pathetic, what words would the mayor use to describe her city?
"Energetic, hopeful, on the move," one resident said.
And trying to improve its reputation.
newburgh, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos