Northern Suburbs News
Judge dubs Newburgh 'most pathetic' in New York state
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Is the picturesque waterfront of Newburgh the most pathetic place in New York?
Last week while sentencing a gang leader from Newburgh in Lower Manhattan, U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon said, "There is one industry in Newburgh, and that is selling drugs. There is one law in Newburgh, and that is the law of the streets. Newburgh is the most pathetic place in the State of New York."
60 miles away, the mayor was not amused. Judy Kennedy called the judge's comments unfair and offered to give her a personal tour of Newburgh.
There's no denying there are problems in Newburgh. Recently there have been FBI raids and unrest after police involved shootings.
The mayor has offered to give the judge a personal tour of Newburgh's landmarks and the second largest historic district in the state so far no response
So instead of pathetic, what words would the mayor use to describe her city?
"Energetic, hopeful, on the move," one resident said.
And trying to improve its reputation.
newburgh, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities 26 min ago
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 7 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams