Northern Suburbs News
Judge dubs Newburgh 'most pathetic' in New York state
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Is the picturesque waterfront of Newburgh the most pathetic place in New York?
Last week while sentencing a gang leader from Newburgh in Lower Manhattan, U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon said, "There is one industry in Newburgh, and that is selling drugs. There is one law in Newburgh, and that is the law of the streets. Newburgh is the most pathetic place in the State of New York."
60 miles away, the mayor was not amused. Judy Kennedy called the judge's comments unfair and offered to give her a personal tour of Newburgh.
There's no denying there are problems in Newburgh. Recently there have been FBI raids and unrest after police involved shootings.
The mayor has offered to give the judge a personal tour of Newburgh's landmarks and the second largest historic district in the state so far no response
So instead of pathetic, what words would the mayor use to describe her city?
"Energetic, hopeful, on the move," one resident said.
And trying to improve its reputation.
newburgh, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 12 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train