Northern Suburbs News
Judge dubs Newburgh 'most pathetic' in New York state
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Is the picturesque waterfront of Newburgh the most pathetic place in New York?
Last week while sentencing a gang leader from Newburgh in Lower Manhattan, U.S. District Judge Colleen McMahon said, "There is one industry in Newburgh, and that is selling drugs. There is one law in Newburgh, and that is the law of the streets. Newburgh is the most pathetic place in the State of New York."
60 miles away, the mayor was not amused. Judy Kennedy called the judge's comments unfair and offered to give her a personal tour of Newburgh.
There's no denying there are problems in Newburgh. Recently there have been FBI raids and unrest after police involved shootings.
The mayor has offered to give the judge a personal tour of Newburgh's landmarks and the second largest historic district in the state so far no response
So instead of pathetic, what words would the mayor use to describe her city?
"Energetic, hopeful, on the move," one resident said.
And trying to improve its reputation.
newburgh, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 12 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
6 min ago