Northern Suburbs News
100-plus cats removed from New Paltz apartment
NEW PALTZ -- Authorities say they've removed 100 cats that were living in a Hudson Valley woman's two-bedroom apartment where pets aren't allowed by her landlord.
Officials tell media outlets that the woman sought help having the felines removed from the New Paltz apartment she shares with her daughter after an Ulster County social worker visited for an unrelated matter.
It took officials from the Ulster County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals several hours Wednesday to remove the approximately 105 adult cats and kittens from the apartment.
Officials say the woman told them she took in strays with the intention of finding them homes.
SPCA officials say most of the cats appear to be healthy. They're being cared for at a Kingston animal shelter.
Newsday reports that the woman's lease agreement forbids pets.
new paltz, animal hoarding, northern suburbs news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 22 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 29 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
22 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos