Northern Suburbs News
More victims, charges in Westchester basketball coach accused of abusing girls
CORTLANDT MANOR, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Westchester County basketball coach already facing sexual abuse charges for allegedly molesting a young girl in 2010 is now being charged by federal authorities with engaging in sexual activity with at least five minors all under the age of 11.
Richard DiNizo, 58, is also accused of videotaping the encounters and transporting the videos outside of New York.
DiNizo, has been coaching girls basketball in Cortlandt Manor for nearly 20 years, was arrested Thursday morning.
"As alleged, Richard DiNizo was a serial pedophile who not only recorded his deviant criminal acts, but shared those videos with others," U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said. "Sexual exploitation of children is a heinous crime that can scar its victims forever and we will continue to prosecute those crimes aggressively."
If convicted, DiNizo faces a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison on each of five counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, and a minimum of five years in prison and a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison for transporting child pornography.
The allegations first came to light after DiNizo was arrested in March for the alleged sexual abuse of a 10-year-old girl in 2010.
It's unclear what evidence prompted state police to investigate three years later, which ultimately lead to DiNizo's arrest.
Authorities say that since DiNizo is alleged to have employed trickery and deceit, his victims may not have been aware that they were victims of sexual abuse. Anyone with relevant information and parents whose children may have had any interactions with DiNizo are asked to contact the Department of Homeland Security in New York at (646) 313-4380.
child sex assault, cortlandt manor, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act