Northern Suburbs News
More victims, charges in Westchester basketball coach accused of abusing girls
CORTLANDT MANOR, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Westchester County basketball coach already facing sexual abuse charges for allegedly molesting a young girl in 2010 is now being charged by federal authorities with engaging in sexual activity with at least five minors all under the age of 11.
Richard DiNizo, 58, is also accused of videotaping the encounters and transporting the videos outside of New York.
DiNizo, has been coaching girls basketball in Cortlandt Manor for nearly 20 years, was arrested Thursday morning.
"As alleged, Richard DiNizo was a serial pedophile who not only recorded his deviant criminal acts, but shared those videos with others," U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said. "Sexual exploitation of children is a heinous crime that can scar its victims forever and we will continue to prosecute those crimes aggressively."
If convicted, DiNizo faces a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison on each of five counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, and a minimum of five years in prison and a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison for transporting child pornography.
The allegations first came to light after DiNizo was arrested in March for the alleged sexual abuse of a 10-year-old girl in 2010.
It's unclear what evidence prompted state police to investigate three years later, which ultimately lead to DiNizo's arrest.
Authorities say that since DiNizo is alleged to have employed trickery and deceit, his victims may not have been aware that they were victims of sexual abuse. Anyone with relevant information and parents whose children may have had any interactions with DiNizo are asked to contact the Department of Homeland Security in New York at (646) 313-4380.
child sex assault, cortlandt manor, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 47 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 44 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 16 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 8 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 3 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos