Northern Suburbs News
Thruway crackdown on calling, texting while driving
ALBANY -- Troopers will be stepping up patrols on the New York Thruway to nab motorists using cellphones while driving.
State Police Troop T says "Operation Hang Up" will kick in Monday and continue through next Sunday.
Police say texting or talking on mobile devices continue to be growing problems despite the clear hazards.
Cell phone use and texting are responsible for a significant proportion of traffic crashes, injuries and deaths.
Troop T issued 150,000 tickets last year, approximately 4,664 of which were for cell phone violations.
texting while driving, distracted driving, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 28 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 18 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 59 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos