Northern Suburbs News
Thruway crackdown on calling, texting while driving
ALBANY -- Troopers will be stepping up patrols on the New York Thruway to nab motorists using cellphones while driving.
State Police Troop T says "Operation Hang Up" will kick in Monday and continue through next Sunday.
Police say texting or talking on mobile devices continue to be growing problems despite the clear hazards.
Cell phone use and texting are responsible for a significant proportion of traffic crashes, injuries and deaths.
Troop T issued 150,000 tickets last year, approximately 4,664 of which were for cell phone violations.
texting while driving, distracted driving, northern suburbs news
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 30 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 27 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos