Northern Suburbs News
Thruway crackdown on calling, texting while driving
ALBANY -- Troopers will be stepping up patrols on the New York Thruway to nab motorists using cellphones while driving.
State Police Troop T says "Operation Hang Up" will kick in Monday and continue through next Sunday.
Police say texting or talking on mobile devices continue to be growing problems despite the clear hazards.
Cell phone use and texting are responsible for a significant proportion of traffic crashes, injuries and deaths.
Troop T issued 150,000 tickets last year, approximately 4,664 of which were for cell phone violations.
texting while driving, distracted driving, northern suburbs news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 51 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 51 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays 13 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 27 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 25 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos