Northern Suburbs News
Newtown mom charged with DUI, claims narcolepsy
MONROE, Conn. -- Monroe police say they charged a woman with driving under the influence after she blacked out while driving her 4-year-old daughter to day care.
The Connecticut Post reports that 32-year-old Melissa Pinto of Newtown was charged with DUI, evading responsibility and risk of injury to a minor last Thursday.
Police say Pinto told them she suffers from narcolepsy, which causes people to suddenly fall asleep. But officers say she admitted to taking several medications before getting in her car with her daughter, including oxycodone.
Authorities say Pinto drove across a local resident's lawn on her way to her daughter's day care, where she was arrested. The resident followed Pinto to the day care.
State child welfare officials took custody of Pinto's daughter. It's not clear if Pinto has lawyer.
newtown, connecticut, drunk driving, northern suburbs news
- Missing plane may have turned back 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 33 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 6 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
57 min ago