Northern Suburbs News
Newtown mom charged with DUI, claims narcolepsy
MONROE, Conn. -- Monroe police say they charged a woman with driving under the influence after she blacked out while driving her 4-year-old daughter to day care.
The Connecticut Post reports that 32-year-old Melissa Pinto of Newtown was charged with DUI, evading responsibility and risk of injury to a minor last Thursday.
Police say Pinto told them she suffers from narcolepsy, which causes people to suddenly fall asleep. But officers say she admitted to taking several medications before getting in her car with her daughter, including oxycodone.
Authorities say Pinto drove across a local resident's lawn on her way to her daughter's day care, where she was arrested. The resident followed Pinto to the day care.
State child welfare officials took custody of Pinto's daughter. It's not clear if Pinto has lawyer.
newtown, connecticut, drunk driving, northern suburbs news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 44 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014