Northern Suburbs News
Newtown mom charged with DUI, claims narcolepsy
MONROE, Conn. -- Monroe police say they charged a woman with driving under the influence after she blacked out while driving her 4-year-old daughter to day care.
The Connecticut Post reports that 32-year-old Melissa Pinto of Newtown was charged with DUI, evading responsibility and risk of injury to a minor last Thursday.
Police say Pinto told them she suffers from narcolepsy, which causes people to suddenly fall asleep. But officers say she admitted to taking several medications before getting in her car with her daughter, including oxycodone.
Authorities say Pinto drove across a local resident's lawn on her way to her daughter's day care, where she was arrested. The resident followed Pinto to the day care.
State child welfare officials took custody of Pinto's daughter. It's not clear if Pinto has lawyer.
newtown, connecticut, drunk driving, northern suburbs news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest 14 min ago
- FSU's Jameis Winston not charged in sex assault case
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters 32 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos