Northern Suburbs News
Fire destroys home of Newtown shooting survivors
NEWTOWN -- A Newtown home destroyed by a fire this week was owned by a couple whose children survived the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in December.
The News-Times of Danbury reports that Wednesday afternoon's fire left Hans and Audra Barth and their three children homeless. The American Red Cross has put them up in a hotel.
Two of their children attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, including a first-grader in teacher Kaitlin Roig's classroom. Roig has been called a hero for barricading her students in a bathroom as the shooter killed 20 other first-graders and six educators.
Friends say the family lost everything in the fire, and their pet dog and several baby chickens died.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
For more information please visit:
Barth Family Fund at http://www.gofundme.com/2fns60.
St. Rose of Lima Church is accepting donations.
Make checks payable to St. Rose of Lima and note "Barth Family" on the memo line.
The church's address is: St. Rose of Lima
Attn: "Barth Family"
46 Church Hill Road
Newtown, CT 06470
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 5 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 33 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings 1 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos