Northern Suburbs News
White Plains hosts Operation Prom dress giveaway
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- The first Operation Prom dress giveaway took place Tuesday, March 26, at the Westchester County Center in White Plains.
County Executive Robert P. Astorino joined Noel D'Allacco, founder of the program, to help kick off the event.
About 100 girls participated in the first of several dress giveaway events this week.
In its ninth year, Operation Prom has helped thousands of area teens by collecting and distributing gently used (and sometimes unused) dresses, as well as arranging for free tuxedo rentals for boys.
"Operation Prom is a great program," Astorino said. "Westchester County is pleased to continue to cosponsor this program through our Department of Social Services."
The county helps publicize events, provides storage space at a county warehouse in Elmsford for the gowns and allows the free use of the County Center for the dress giveaway.
Operation Prom helps teens from low-income households and those who live in shelters or group homes attend their prom at little or no cost.
The Department of Social Services plays a vital role by connecting young women and men in their care with Operation Prom so that girls can pick out a dress at one of the giveaways.
2013 Dress Giveaway Events:
westchester county, white plains, northern suburbs news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos