Northern Suburbs News
Soccer jersey auction raises money for Newtown
HAMDEN, Connecticut -- Quinnipiac University's soccer program is remembering one of the Newtown shooting victims by auctioning off soccer jerseys from around the world.
Most of the jerseys display the number 26, in memory of the 20 children and six educators who were killed at the Sandy Hook Elementary school on Dec. 14.
Money raised in the auction will fund a scholarship in memory of Rachel D'Avino, a teacher's aide who was among those killed. She was a cousin of a former Quinnipiac soccer captain, Lauren Carmody-Grenier.
The online auction has so far raised more than $10,000. Items still on the block include a Barcelona jersey signed by the entire team and another from Argentina's national team signed by superstar Lionel Messi.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Video: Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area 50 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot 36 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 13 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
55 min ago