Northern Suburbs News
Soccer jersey auction raises money for Newtown
HAMDEN, Connecticut -- Quinnipiac University's soccer program is remembering one of the Newtown shooting victims by auctioning off soccer jerseys from around the world.
Most of the jerseys display the number 26, in memory of the 20 children and six educators who were killed at the Sandy Hook Elementary school on Dec. 14.
Money raised in the auction will fund a scholarship in memory of Rachel D'Avino, a teacher's aide who was among those killed. She was a cousin of a former Quinnipiac soccer captain, Lauren Carmody-Grenier.
The online auction has so far raised more than $10,000. Items still on the block include a Barcelona jersey signed by the entire team and another from Argentina's national team signed by superstar Lionel Messi.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Missing plane may have turned back
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 5 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams