Northern Suburbs News
Soccer jersey auction raises money for Newtown
HAMDEN, Connecticut -- Quinnipiac University's soccer program is remembering one of the Newtown shooting victims by auctioning off soccer jerseys from around the world.
Most of the jerseys display the number 26, in memory of the 20 children and six educators who were killed at the Sandy Hook Elementary school on Dec. 14.
Money raised in the auction will fund a scholarship in memory of Rachel D'Avino, a teacher's aide who was among those killed. She was a cousin of a former Quinnipiac soccer captain, Lauren Carmody-Grenier.
The online auction has so far raised more than $10,000. Items still on the block include a Barcelona jersey signed by the entire team and another from Argentina's national team signed by superstar Lionel Messi.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 28 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 18 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 59 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos