Northern Suburbs News
Soccer jersey auction raises money for Newtown
HAMDEN, Connecticut -- Quinnipiac University's soccer program is remembering one of the Newtown shooting victims by auctioning off soccer jerseys from around the world.
Most of the jerseys display the number 26, in memory of the 20 children and six educators who were killed at the Sandy Hook Elementary school on Dec. 14.
Money raised in the auction will fund a scholarship in memory of Rachel D'Avino, a teacher's aide who was among those killed. She was a cousin of a former Quinnipiac soccer captain, Lauren Carmody-Grenier.
The online auction has so far raised more than $10,000. Items still on the block include a Barcelona jersey signed by the entire team and another from Argentina's national team signed by superstar Lionel Messi.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 4 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn 21 min ago
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
19 min ago