Northern Suburbs News
Driver stops for turkey, sparks 4-car crash
WAWARSING, N.Y. -- A New York driver who stopped for a turkey crossing the road inadvertently triggered a four-car crash that injured five people.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports (http://bit.ly/Y6jH9x ) that the accident happened around 12:30 p.m. Friday in Wawarsing in Ulster County.
The sheriff's office tells the newspaper that 71-year-old Roberta Decker had stopped her Toyota to allow a turkey to cross when she was struck from behind by a minivan.
Decker's car was pushed into the opposite lane of traffic and hit a Ford. Authorities say Decker's car then spun around and hit a Volkswagen.
The driver of the Ford was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center to be treated for head injuries.
Four other people were hospitalized for treatment of injuries. They included Decker and a passenger in her car.
ulster county, accident, northern suburbs news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 45 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 12 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 3 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest