Northern Suburbs News
Driver stops for turkey, sparks 4-car crash
WAWARSING, N.Y. -- A New York driver who stopped for a turkey crossing the road inadvertently triggered a four-car crash that injured five people.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports (http://bit.ly/Y6jH9x ) that the accident happened around 12:30 p.m. Friday in Wawarsing in Ulster County.
The sheriff's office tells the newspaper that 71-year-old Roberta Decker had stopped her Toyota to allow a turkey to cross when she was struck from behind by a minivan.
Decker's car was pushed into the opposite lane of traffic and hit a Ford. Authorities say Decker's car then spun around and hit a Volkswagen.
The driver of the Ford was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center to be treated for head injuries.
Four other people were hospitalized for treatment of injuries. They included Decker and a passenger in her car.
ulster county, accident, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 25 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 38 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 31 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos