Northern Suburbs News
Governor Dan Malloy's Newtown panel to tackle mental health
HARTFORD -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's advisory panel that's reviewing the Newtown school shooting is turning its focus to mental health.
The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is scheduled to hear Friday from experts on issues related to mental health care, public awareness and discrimination.
The meeting comes days after the commission forwarded the governor some preliminary recommendations on gun laws and school security, including universal background checks for guns.
Commission members expect to present the governor with a comprehensive final report within the year.
Meanwhile, gun control advocates on Friday plan to deliver letters to legislative leaders, who are crafting a bipartisan bill that addresses the shooting. The letters come from Newtown victims, survivors, clergy and other groups who support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines and other gun control measures.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 50 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 47 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 19 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 11 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 6 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos