Northern Suburbs News
Governor Dan Malloy's Newtown panel to tackle mental health
HARTFORD -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's advisory panel that's reviewing the Newtown school shooting is turning its focus to mental health.
The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is scheduled to hear Friday from experts on issues related to mental health care, public awareness and discrimination.
The meeting comes days after the commission forwarded the governor some preliminary recommendations on gun laws and school security, including universal background checks for guns.
Commission members expect to present the governor with a comprehensive final report within the year.
Meanwhile, gun control advocates on Friday plan to deliver letters to legislative leaders, who are crafting a bipartisan bill that addresses the shooting. The letters come from Newtown victims, survivors, clergy and other groups who support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines and other gun control measures.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 4 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn 21 min ago
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
19 min ago