Northern Suburbs News
Governor Dan Malloy's Newtown panel to tackle mental health
HARTFORD -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's advisory panel that's reviewing the Newtown school shooting is turning its focus to mental health.
The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is scheduled to hear Friday from experts on issues related to mental health care, public awareness and discrimination.
The meeting comes days after the commission forwarded the governor some preliminary recommendations on gun laws and school security, including universal background checks for guns.
Commission members expect to present the governor with a comprehensive final report within the year.
Meanwhile, gun control advocates on Friday plan to deliver letters to legislative leaders, who are crafting a bipartisan bill that addresses the shooting. The letters come from Newtown victims, survivors, clergy and other groups who support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines and other gun control measures.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 4 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders 21 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos