Northern Suburbs News
Governor Dan Malloy's Newtown panel to tackle mental health
HARTFORD -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's advisory panel that's reviewing the Newtown school shooting is turning its focus to mental health.
The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is scheduled to hear Friday from experts on issues related to mental health care, public awareness and discrimination.
The meeting comes days after the commission forwarded the governor some preliminary recommendations on gun laws and school security, including universal background checks for guns.
Commission members expect to present the governor with a comprehensive final report within the year.
Meanwhile, gun control advocates on Friday plan to deliver letters to legislative leaders, who are crafting a bipartisan bill that addresses the shooting. The letters come from Newtown victims, survivors, clergy and other groups who support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines and other gun control measures.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 18 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos