Northern Suburbs News
Prosecutor knows rape suspect, passes on case
CARMEL, N.Y. -- A suburban district attorney has asked a neighboring county to handle a child rape case because he is acquainted with the suspect.
Putnam County prosecutor Adam Levy said Thursday in an emailed statement that he knows 35-year-old Alexandru Hossu of Southeast. His spokeswoman would not elaborate, but The Journal News reported that Hossu is the district attorney's personal trainer.
The county sheriff announced Thursday that Hossu was arrested on charges that he twice raped a 12-year-old girl in 2010.
The sheriff said Hossu, a Romanian, is in the United States on an expired work visa.
Hossu was arraigned in Patterson Town Court and is being held in the county jail. Calls to the sheriff's office and the court, seeking the name of Hossu's attorney, were not immediately returned.
putnam county, rape, northern suburbs news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014