Northern Suburbs News
Prosecutor knows rape suspect, passes on case
CARMEL, N.Y. -- A suburban district attorney has asked a neighboring county to handle a child rape case because he is acquainted with the suspect.
Putnam County prosecutor Adam Levy said Thursday in an emailed statement that he knows 35-year-old Alexandru Hossu of Southeast. His spokeswoman would not elaborate, but The Journal News reported that Hossu is the district attorney's personal trainer.
The county sheriff announced Thursday that Hossu was arrested on charges that he twice raped a 12-year-old girl in 2010.
The sheriff said Hossu, a Romanian, is in the United States on an expired work visa.
Hossu was arraigned in Patterson Town Court and is being held in the county jail. Calls to the sheriff's office and the court, seeking the name of Hossu's attorney, were not immediately returned.
putnam county, rape, northern suburbs news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen