Northern Suburbs News
Joe Biden, Michael Bloomberg join Newtown families in new call for gun control
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Vice President Joe Biden says the Obama administration isn't giving up on an assault weapons ban, and he joined New York Cit Mayor Michael Bloomberg and families from Newtown, Connecticut, Thursday in a renewed call for gun control.
The group is pushing for what they call common-sense laws on the topic, but it comes as the U.S. Senate failed to even put up a vote on an assault weapons ban measure earlier this week.
Both Biden and Bloomberg have been outspoken in their efforts to push for tighter restrictions on guns, with Biden in charge of the nation's efforts to curb violent incidents like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Bloomberg has been on the forefront of the issue for years, even using his own personal wealth to challenge the NRA's influence in Washington, D.C.
The Senate dropped the assault weapons ban from its gun control package because of a lack of support.
Biden said the president's gun proposals don't infringe "one iota" on Second Amendment rights.
Mayor Bloomberg emphasized proposals for expanding background checks of gun buyers.
Bloomberg and Boston's Thomas Menino head a coalition called Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
Some Connecticut police officials also weighed in on the Senate's inaction.
"As I reflect today about that day, as much as I try to forget about it, I just can't," Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe said. "And I know that will give me the energy to move forward and hopefully make change in our society that we need.
Meanwhile, singer Tony Bennett and the Reverend Al Sharpton are planning to hold a gun control rally in uptown Manhattan Thursday.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, joe biden, michael bloomberg, gun control, northern suburbs news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 45 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 12 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 3 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest