Northern Suburbs News
Westport native among Marines killed in Nevada
WESTPORT (WABC) -- 23-year-old Roger Muchnick, who grew up in Westport and was a graduate of Staples High School, was among the Marines killed in a training accident in Nevada.
Muchnick, who'd been in the Marines for about three years, had served in Afghanistan and was considering returning to college after his enlistment was up. He played high school lacrosse and football in Westport, Conn., and later played lacrosse at Eastern Connecticut State University, where he studied business.
"Roger was such an amazing person as he consistently lit up a room with his smile. He was charismatic off-the-field, and hard-nosed and tough on the field. He will truly be missed," Justin Axel, head men's lacrosse coach Eastern Connecticut State University, said.
In a biography on the university's website, Muchnick said the one thing he would like to do before he died was "live," and his most embarrassing moment was getting caught lip-synching in a school talent show.
"He was at the top of his game when this happened," said his grandfather, Jerome Muchnick. "You can't imagine losing a very handsome, 23-year-old grandson who was vital and loving."
Funeral services haven't been announced.
The Marines killed on Monday night were based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. The explosion's cause remains under investigation.
nevada, marines, camp lejeune, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 54 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 55 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
22 min ago