Northern Suburbs News
Girls' basketball coach charged with sex abuse
CORTLANDT MANOR, N.Y. (WABC) -- Richard DiNizo was arraigned in town court and remanded without bail.
DiNizo has been coaching girls basketball in Westchester County for nearly 20 years and investigators are concerned there might be other victims.
58-year-old Richard DiNizo's house is shadowed in darkness.
This is where investigators say in 2010 the long-time basketball coach abused a 10-year-old girl.
It's unclear what evidence prompted state police to investigate three years later, which ultimately lead to DiNizo's arrest.
"The information came to our attention about 48 hours ago. We had investigators working on it pretty much around the clock to identify both the victim and the defendant. We were able to do so fairly quickly and we picked him up this morning," said Major Michael Kupy, New York State Police.
We don't know how DiNizo allegedly abused the young girl.
The 58-year-old is said to have coached girls basketball in Westchester since the mid-1990's, including for the Westchester basketball association.
"I'm totally in shock about it. It's totally unbelievable," said Edward Gaerlan, a neighbor.
Neighbors tell Eyewitness News DiNizo was having marital problems and was recently staying at a friend's house down the block.
News of his arrest surprised Edward Gaerlan who lives next to DiNizo.
"I only have good things to say about him. I mean as far as my exposure to him. He's been a pleasant person, and a good neighbor, and basically a nice guy," Gaerlan said.
DiNizo is charged with one count of a criminal sexual act, which means he faces up to 25 years in prison.
More charges, state and federal, could come.
State police are asking if you have any information about this man to call the Cortlandt Manor Barracks at 914-737-7171.
child sex assault, cortlandt manor, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan hospital attack
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Photos: On World's Fair's 50th a new national...
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos