Northern Suburbs News
Assemblyman who voted against legalizing marijuana busted with pot
ALBANY (WABC) -- New York state police say they've charged a Hudson Valley assemblyman with marijuana possession following a traffic stop for speeding on the Thruway.
Troopers say 59-year-old Stephen Katz of Mohegan Lake was stopped about 10 a.m. Tuesday in Coeymans south of Albany for driving 80 mph on the highway with a 65 mph speed limit.
They say he had less than 25 grams of marijuana and was given an appearance ticket for the violation.
He's due in Coeymans Town Court on March 28.
Calls to the Assembly offices of the Republican and Conservative, a veterinarian first elected in 2010, were not initially returned Friday.
Katz voted against the legalization of medical marijuana during a vote last June. It passed 91-52, with most Republicans voting against it.
marijuana, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 13 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
13 min ago