Northern Suburbs News
New City girl stabbed by mom recovering
NEW CITY -- Police say a 7-year-old girl who was stabbed several times by her suicidal mother has survived emergency surgery and investigators plan to talk to her about the tragedy.
Clarkstown police Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said Ava Sangavaram was upgraded from critical to stable condition at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
"Eventually the plan is to be able to interview her when she is stable enough," Fratianni said. "We don't know when that will be."
Ava suffered several stab wounds when her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, tuned on her with a weapon on Thursday at their upscale New City home, about 30 miles from Manhattan, police said. Vovchik then stabbed herself to death, they said.
The Rockland County medical examiner said Vovchik died from two self-inflicted wounds in her neck.
Fratianni wouldn't say if a motive had been detected. She said no note had been found.
The victims were discovered by Ava's father, Kristappa Sangavaram, a New Jersey anesthesiologist. He had been alerted by Ava's school that she was absent, and he went to the home to check on her, Fratianni said.
Sangavaram and Vovchik had never been married, Fratianni said.
He called 911 to report "a possible suicide," police said. He was not being held.
Fratianni would not say exactly what kind of weapon was used in the attack.
"We have evidence we've collected at the scene but we're not able to disclose that," she said.
new city, stabbing, suicide, child injured, northern suburbs news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos