Northern Suburbs News
Fire strikes Yonkers apartment building
YONKERS (WABC) -- A four-alarm fire burned through an apartment building in Yonkers Monday.
The fire broke out in a three-story residential building on Saratoga Avenue just before 2:30 p.m.
The building houses apartments on all three floors.
No injuries were immediately reported.
The fire had been placed almost under control when it suddenly flared up again around 5:30 p.m.
Flames ripped through the roof of the home on Saratoga Avenue and climbed into the cloudless sky.
Stuck in the space between walls, and climbing to the ceiling, the fire collapsed much of the roof and left at least 20 people, six families, homeless on a frigid winter day.
Everyone lost virtually everything they own.
Firefighters struggled with the blaze for hours, attacking from above.
But with the fire still going strong and the roof already collapsing, firefighters marched into the house, even searching the top floors to make sure no one was trapped, not knowing if the roof would hold or collapse on top of them.
Some residents said they'd had electrical issues in the past and thought the fire might have started because of that, several people said they were using space heaters.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news, jim dolan
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 53 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos