Northern Suburbs News
Snow brings travel problems to the Hudson Valley
FAIRFIELD (WABC) -- Heavy snow caused serious travel problems across the Hudson Valley.
The MTA canceled Metro-North service for the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines because officials were worried about trains getting stuck in this blizzard.
Workers also needed to use plows to begin clearing the snow from the tracks.
By early Saturday afternoon, Metro North had resumed service on the New Haven line, but only to Stamford.
Driving conditions were also terrible, as officials urged everyone to just stay at home. Those who ventured out faced challenges.
"My car ran off the road, so I had to get it towed," driver Kirsten Halbach said.
The roads proved too risky for Halback, as her car slid off I-87.
In addition to the trains, bus service was also curtailed. The Tappan Zee Express, which ferries commuters across the bridge to Rockland County, was suspended.
Earlier, New York closed Interstate 84 to truck traffic between Pennsylvania and Connecticut because of the snow storm pelting the northeast.
The truck ban on the 70-mile stretch of highway was lifted late Saturday morning.
Police say all motorists should drive with caution and avoid unnecessary travel. Up to 2 feet of snow fell in some parts of New York by the time the storm wound down Saturday.
Check conditions by calling the state's free 511 information system or on the web at 511NY.org
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
poughkeepsie, dutchess county, snow, snow removal, snow storm, northern suburbs news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 53 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 41 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 49 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 42 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 7 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
56 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
31 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos