Northern Suburbs News
Fairfield couple named 'longest married' in US
FAIRFIELD -- John and Ann Betar of Connecticut have been married so long they're getting national recognition.
The Fairfield spouses, who tied the knot more than 80 years ago, have been named the 2013 "longest married couple" in the United States by Worldwide Marriage Encounter, a group in San Bernardino, Calif., dedicated to improving Christian marriages.
The Betars will be presented with the honor and gifts at their granddaughter's home in Fairfield on Saturday.
Worldwide Marriage Encounter says the longest married couple is based on nominations, so there may be others who have been married longer.
John is 101 years old and Ann is 97. The two grew up as neighbors in Bridgeport and got married on Nov. 25, 1932. They have five children, 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fairfield, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos