Northern Suburbs News
Fairfield couple named 'longest married' in US
FAIRFIELD -- John and Ann Betar of Connecticut have been married so long they're getting national recognition.
The Fairfield spouses, who tied the knot more than 80 years ago, have been named the 2013 "longest married couple" in the United States by Worldwide Marriage Encounter, a group in San Bernardino, Calif., dedicated to improving Christian marriages.
The Betars will be presented with the honor and gifts at their granddaughter's home in Fairfield on Saturday.
Worldwide Marriage Encounter says the longest married couple is based on nominations, so there may be others who have been married longer.
John is 101 years old and Ann is 97. The two grew up as neighbors in Bridgeport and got married on Nov. 25, 1932. They have five children, 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fairfield, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- NJ forest fires force hundreds out of homes 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment 27 min ago
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 40 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
22 min ago