Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut flu deaths increase to 17
HARTFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- Connecticut health officials say 11 more flu deaths have been reported in the state over the past week, bringing the total to 17 in the current flu season.
The Department of Public Health says 15 of the people who died were 65 or older and two were between 55 and 64.
Health officials issued a new weekly report Thursday saying the number of confirmed flu cases is 3,248, with hundreds of additional cases expected to be tested in the upcoming weeks.
Fairfield County has the most confirmed flu cases with 902, while Tolland County has the least with 106.
Health officials say they've also seen a large increase in the number of people hospitalized with flu-associated illness. They say 1,355 people are being treated in hospitals for flu-associated illness.
Nationwide, new government figures show that flu cases seem to be leveling off nationwide. Flu activity is declining in most regions although still rising in the West.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says hospitalizations and deaths spiked again last week, especially among the elderly. The CDC says quick treatment with antiviral medicines is important, in particular for the very young or old. The season's first flu case resistant to treatment with Tamiflu was reported Friday.
Eight more children have died from the flu, bringing this season's total pediatric deaths to 37. About 100 children die in an average flu season.
There is still vaccine available although it may be hard to find. The CDC has a website that can help.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, flu, flu vaccine, northern suburbs news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 9 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 26 min ago
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 21 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...