Northern Suburbs News
New Tappan Zee Bridge to have all-electronic tolls
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The New York State Thruway Authority says the new Tappan Zee Bridge will have an all-electronic toll collection system.
The first step in preparing for that is to switch the existing bridge over to an all-electronic system.
For drivers who don't have an E-ZPass, cameras will photograph their license plates and a bill will be sent via mail.
The board on Thursday approved issuing $500 million in short-term bonds to jump-start construction of the new $3.14 billion bridge.
The bonds will be used to pay for initial project costs during the next six months.
The authority said the money would be paid back with a U.S. Department of Transportation loan the state hopes to secure in the coming months.
Last week, the state comptroller and attorney general approved the bridge contract between the Thruway Authority and Tappan Zee Constructors.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 58 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 56 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
53 min ago