Northern Suburbs News
New Tappan Zee Bridge to have all-electronic tolls
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The New York State Thruway Authority says the new Tappan Zee Bridge will have an all-electronic toll collection system.
The first step in preparing for that is to switch the existing bridge over to an all-electronic system.
For drivers who don't have an E-ZPass, cameras will photograph their license plates and a bill will be sent via mail.
The board on Thursday approved issuing $500 million in short-term bonds to jump-start construction of the new $3.14 billion bridge.
The bonds will be used to pay for initial project costs during the next six months.
The authority said the money would be paid back with a U.S. Department of Transportation loan the state hopes to secure in the coming months.
Last week, the state comptroller and attorney general approved the bridge contract between the Thruway Authority and Tappan Zee Constructors.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 10 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 32 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos