Northern Suburbs News
Biden heading to Virginia to push gun control
OREGON -- Vice President Joe Biden is taking the White House's campaign for gun control on the road to Virginia.
Biden plans a roundtable discussion Friday in Richmond with experts who worked on gun safety following the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech.
President Barack Obama wants Congress to require background checks for all gun sales and ban both military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The president concedes passage will be difficult, but he also will travel to push the plan. His destinations have yet to be announced.
Virginia has an avidly pro-gun tradition, but lawmakers have been debating a bill to require that private sellers conduct criminal background checks on buyers at gun shows. The current law only requires dealers to conduct the checks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes 48 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 50 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos