Northern Suburbs News
Man charged with murder in '04 asphalt toss death
WESTCHESTER -- A Yonkers man has been accused of killing a woman by throwing a chunk of asphalt through her windshield from a highway overpass.
The Westchester district attorney says 26-year-old Alberto Plasencia has been charged with second-degree murder.
He was arrested Tuesday, nearly nine years after the fatal crash.
Marie McSweeney, of Queens, was driving south on the Sprain Brook Parkway when a chunk of asphalt 10 inches long slammed through her windshield and hit her in the head in 2004.
The car crashed and the 48-year-old McSweeney was killed. Her 87-year-old mother survived.
The district attorney's office says new information came to light in 2009 that led to Plasencia's arrest. A spokesman would not elaborate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, murder, northern suburbs news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman 53 min ago
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 37 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 19 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos